Post LASIK Care
Many patients feel comfortable after a short nap while wearing protective eye shields. For the first few days after LASIK, it is recommended that patients wear these plastic eye shields while sleeping to prevent any unconscious eye-rubbing. It’s important not to rub your eyes during the early healing stage.
After the LASIK procedure, many patients are surprised at how quickly their eyesight returns. Recovery tends to be fast, with most patients returning completely to their daily routine within a week of surgery.
However, follow-up care is as important as the procedure itself. Post-LASIK care ensures proper healing and comfort. Use the tips below to stay on track and receive the most out of your LASIK surgery experience.
- Schedule Follow-Up Appointments: Be sure to schedule all follow-up appointments with your eye doctor for the first three months after your LASIK procedure. Annual eye exams will still be necessary following laser vision correction to ensure the continued health of your eyes.
- Follow Your Doctor’s Directions: Follow-up visits with your primary eye doctor are critical and allow for individualized changes according to your healing response. Another resource to help with the healing period is our guide for post-operative LASIK care.
After LASIK Follow-Up Care Timeline:
- The first week: Your doctor will prescribe eye drops to reduce the risk of infection, inflammation, and to prevent dryness.
- The first few months: Your doctor will monitor the healing process and make sure that your eyes are comfortable and seeing well.
Returning to Normal Activities After LASIK
Many patients return to work within a day or two of their LASIK procedure. Be sure to follow the restrictions below. Otherwise, as long as you follow your doctor’s instructions, you should be free to resume all of your normal activities.
- Your doctor will tell you when it is safe for you to drive following surgery, typically after one day.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes for at least the first week after LASIK surgery.
- Read in moderation for the first few days after your LASIK procedure.
- Do not wear eye makeup for one week.
- Do not rub your eyes for one month after you have LASIK.
- Do not exercise for one week.
- Avoid swimming, hot tubs and whirlpools for one week after your procedure.
- Avoid gardening and dusty environments for one week.
- Avoid contact sports that could result in an eye injury for one month.
- Smoking is allowed, but the smoke may irritate your eyes.
Like LASIK, PRK eye surgery corrects nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism, as well as the time it takes to perform the surgery. Because the PRK procedure is performed differently, the recovery time can take slightly longer. Individual healing times vary for each person, so be sure to discuss this with your LASIK surgeon.