Dr. Joseph Pasternak
For over 25 years, Dr. Joseph Pasternak has been a laser eye surgeon with the United States Military. He participated in the FDA trials to approve laser eye surgery in the United States, which led to him being the first military eye surgeon to perform refractive surgery in the country. He then established the Laser Vision Center at Bethesda Naval Hospital where he created and ran the program offering LASIK to Us Naval Academy midshipmen. Over the last 20 years, this has expanded career options for more than 8,000 new military officers. Dr. Pasternak’s instrumental work on studies assessing the safety and effectiveness of LASIK in Navy and Marine Corps aviators ultimately led to the approval of LASIK surgery for all service men and women in combat.
Over his career, Dr. Pasternak has performed over 10,000 refractive procedures and trained more than 80 surgeons in the field of laser eye surgery. He now utilizes his years of experience and knowledge as well as his commitment to safety and predictability to bring the best possible outcomes to his patients.
Dr. Pasternak has been happily married for over 25 years and is the proud father of three young adults. In his spare time, he likes to play tennis, ski, exercise, and cook.
EDUCATION | TRAINING
- US Naval Academy, B.S.
- Edward Hebert Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, M.D.
- Naval Hospital San Diego, Internship
- National Naval Medical Center, Ophthalmology Residency
- Cornea, Refractive and External Disease, Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins University, Fellowship
MEMBERSHIPS | AFFILIATIONS
- American Board of Ophthalmology, Board Certified
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ASCRS)
- Society of Military Ophthalmologists (SMO)