LASIK surgeon, Dr. Sean Edelstein, M.D. is a corneal surgeon with expertise in laser refractive surgery (LASIK and PRK), corneal transplantation, and cataract surgery. Originally from South Africa, he completed his ophthalmology training at Washington University in St. Louis. Dr. Edelstein has been practicing ophthalmology and performing LASIK in the St. Louis and Metro-East Illinois areas for more than 15 years. He currently serves as an Associate Professor in the Department of Ophthalmology at St. Louis University where he was awarded outstanding teacher of the year in 2021. Dr. Edelstein also sees patients and operates in private practice with Quantum Vision Centers. He regularly performs inspections of eye banks across the country to help ensure safe and high-quality corneal tissue is utilized for transplantation and is assistant medical director of the Mid-American Transplant Eye Bank.
In recognition of his expertise, he has been named one of the Best Doctors in America every year since 2011, and by Who’s Who as one of the top doctors in the country. Dr. Edelstein is known for his friendly, empathetic demeanor and is passionate about his work and obtaining excellent clinical outcomes for his patients. In his free time, Dr. Edelstein likes to travel, cycle, and spend time with his family and French bulldogs.
EDUCATION | TRAINING
- Medical Doctor degree from University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Internal Medicine Residency, St. Mary’s Health Center, St. Louis, MO
- Ophthalmology Residency and Cornea & Refractive Surgery Fellowship, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO
MEMBERSHIPS | AFFILIATIONS
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Eye Bank Association of America and Cornea Society
- Board-certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and Internal Medicine
- Assistant Medical Director at Mid-American Transplant & Eye Bank, St. Louis
- President of Saint Louis Ophthalmologic Society