Can I Get LASIK Eye Surgery If I’m Pregnant?May 6, 2016 -
There’s simply nothing that compares to the joy of watching your baby grow up, and enjoying the little moments that will turn into lifelong memories. The milestones add up quickly, as any new parent can attest. This a special time of year for kids of all ages, because it’s the time that we honor all of the great mothers in the world with Mother’s Day. Of course, that celebration extends to soon-to-be mothers, too!
The clearer vision that comes with LASIK helps ensure that you’re ready to enjoy every special moment with your child, without scrambling to find your glasses or contacts. Though LASIK eye surgery while pregnant or nursing isn’t recommended, there are steps you can take to make sure you’re ready when the time is right.
Schedule a FREE LASIK Consultation Todaybook now
LASIK Recommendations for Pregnant Mothers
While LASIK is a safe, minimally invasive procedure, your surgeon may prescribe medications which are not recommended for women who are pregnant or nursing. Those medications, combined with the hormonal changes caused by pregnancy, mean that it’s simply safest to wait until after pregnancy and nursing to have laser eye surgery.
The good news is that with a quick recovery time and even quicker procedure, you can have LASIK eye surgery after your pregnancy without missing much time with your child. Here are a few tips to help expecting mothers prepare for LASIK after pregnancy and nursing:
- Start by researching your local LASIK providers, and finding a surgeon who meets your needs.
- If financing options are important, be sure to learn more about the options available at each LASIK center. Most LASIK providers offer a variety of financing options, and getting a general idea of what’s out there will allow you to make an informed decision when the time comes.
- While you’re researching, be sure to jot down any questions you have for your surgeon or their staff. When you are done nursing and ready for your free LASIK consultation, call your local TLC Laser Eye Center.
- Looking for a first-hand account of what it’s like to have LASIK? Laser eye surgery is very common, so you’re likely to know someone who has had or is planning to have LASIK surgery. Word of mouth is a great way to validate your research.
- Of course, it’s not all about work. Take some time to think of all the wonderful moments ahead with your child, and how LASIK will help you enjoy every little detail. Mother’s Day is a celebration, after all!
The gift of clear vision is truly something worth looking forward to, and with a bit of research you’ll be more than ready to go when the time is right for LASIK eye surgery. Until then, Happy Mother’s Day to all of the wonderful moms who make each day special.